Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Frozen Buds

Well, I'm a real writer now. I've received my first rejection letter.

I'm not really surprised, and I'm not as disappointed as I expected to be. Maybe because my wisteria bush taught me a great lesson.

This time of year used to make me so nervous. I'd walk outside and stroke the soft fuzz on the swelling buds, knowing that a freeze would come. I'd feel bad for the plants, so full of promise, all of their effort wasted. Or so I thought.

In the lovely weather last week, I examined my pear trees and wisteria bush. I picked off a bud and marveled over the green and white interior. Silly plants, I thought, don't you know it's January? Your work will come to naught.

And then I paused. Well, what else should the plants be doing? They were designed to bud. That is what they are supposed to be doing. Even if the first, second, third times they stretch forth their efforts they thwarted, that is still what they should be doing. Growing is how their purpose is fulfilled.

So, yesterday when I got my rejection letter, today when ice coated my wisteria bush, I didn't feel bad. I know that we will keep doing as we are intended to do. In the doing is fulfillment.

In other news: it's a "snow day!" :-p Hooray for DH being home!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about the rejection letter, but this post is wonderful. I think you should write it up and send it in somewhere. This is deep, real truth that encourages folks and keeps them moving.

You have so much wisdom and such talent to share it. I'm so thankful I get to read what you write.

Eric and Jessica said...

What an insightful post, and beautiful pictures! (I've always wanted a wisteria bush)

I agree with Jerri, you should send this in somewhere.